When I get emails from Karen requesting the presence of some of my best gals and myself for an evening of awards show viewing, I get really excited.
You see, Karen always provides us with quite the spread of food and good company, and she also has a giant television on which we watch the celebrities, their dates, and their fashion choices. And since we are all pop culture junkies and self-proclaimed style mavens in yoga pants, we quite enjoy the festivities.
Karen also has this picture, blown up into poster size in her powder room, cheering guests on while they use the potty.
Even if you don’t have a giant picture of a backpacking trip from the ’90s flanking your powder room wall, you can still throw a magnificent awards show watching party in five easy steps.
- Invite people who love celebrity gossip, pop culture, fashion, and/or yummy food. They must also agree not to judge other attendees for the amount of useless knowledge we all have about people we don’t know. Party guests must also be willing to google celebrities and report back to group if we are unsure if trivia is correct.
- Attire should consist of pajamas or comfy clothing so that they will be happy to consume yummy food without the constriction of tight pants. Comfort is also important while playing Judgey McWannaBe-Stylist for the stars strutting the red carpet. No Spanx allowed on the couch, yo.
- Print out lists of categories and nominees and Awards Show Bingo. Do not let attendees put friendly wagers on the winners because you don’t want double down shenanigans and the betting of the kids’ college funds to ensue.
- Make delicious food and be willing to share the recipes with your friend to put on her blog like this: Southwest Turkey Meatballs with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce, Flourless Chocolate Cookies, and Creamy Grape Dessert. Her version of some rocking mac and cheese is below, and I have a forthcoming Goat Cheese Cornbread recipe that is the bomb dot com.
- Allow your friends to stay in your cool urban town home until they are good and ready to return to their suburban bubble lives.
See? Being an Awards Show Party Hostess with the Mostess is made easy with these five simple steps. See you at the Oscars, Karen!
- 1 pound pasta
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 small jars diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup Gourmet Garden cilantro
- 2 cups grated Colby Jack cheese
- 3/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, chiles, and cilantro and bring to a simmer, about 7 minutes.
- Simmer 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the macaroni and cook until the cream returns to a simmer (3-5 minutes).
- Add the cheeses and bring back to a simmer, stirring constantly until the cheeses are melted.
- Pour into serving dish.